Why Become a Montessori Teacher?
Montessori teachers love their work. Whether embarking on your first career or looking for more inspiration in your current field, the first step to finding a job that brings you deep satisfaction is to think carefully about what really drives you. We are far more likely to be successful in an occupation we feel passionate about!
When we asked Montessori teachers what they love most about their careers here's what they said:
• Montessori training isn’t just a way to land a great job in 9-months. It’s a transformative journey that deepens one’s understanding of the potential of children and their ability to transform the world.
• Educating children in this unique way connects you to an international community of people working, typically with great humility and respect, to improve a struggling educational system.
• Your job doesn’t have to make you miserable! Montessori training opens the door to a more meaningful job, a better life, and a happier you.
We all possess a unique combination of assets that we bring to all that we do; attributes such as personality, skill sets, abilities, and experiences. At Montessori Northwest, we believe those diverse, sometimes disparate, qualities often are essential to create a community of great teachers. And if applying your passions to an educational approach that helps children reach their full potential in all areas of life—cognitive, social, emotional, and physical—appeals to you, a career in as a Montessori education teacher might is be worth considering.
If you are thinking about becoming a Montessori teacher or are wondering which program will best prepare you for this path, then you’ve come to the right place. Since 1979, Montessori Northwest has offered rigorous, practical and in-depth adult education, in affiliation with the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI). The AMI diploma is respected worldwide as a representation of achievement in a teacher-training program of quality, integrity, and authenticity.
It’s important to note that Montessori is not a trademarked term. This means that there are many varieties of Montessori teacher training available, from 10-week courses and online certificates, to full graduate-level, AMI-recognized courses like those offered by Montessori Northwest. High-quality AMI Montessori training can open the door to a career as a teacher at private and public Montessori schools around the world, or as a school administrator.
- AMI Montessori teachers are in high demand. AMI Montessori diploma-holders are sought after by many types of Montessori schools, public or private, AMI or AMS or non-affiliated. School administrators value the consistently high quality of AMI-trained teachers. While there are other good training programs, AMI training guarantees that teacher candidates have a deep understanding of the Montessori philosophy and principles of child development, as well as a thorough grasp of lesson delivery, not just in theory, but also in applied practice. This consistent, high-quality training means that many schools are eager to meet our graduates: an AMI diploma is a great way to get interviews at the best Montessori schools in the world!
- Montessori Northwest’s AMI teacher training program prepares you for success in your classroom. Because our AMI approach and our focus on practical, hands-on work with the materials, our students are well-prepared for the challenges of an actual classroom. So not only will you have a good chance of getting hired, you’ll also have the foundation for being successful in your teaching career. Read what two of our former Primary students had to say about why they chose Montessori Northwest for their training.
- A Montessori diploma often leads to better pay in a career you are passionate about. Many preschool teachers who take the AMI Montessori teacher training report a significant increase in pay, as a Montessori teaching certificate often is required for a promotion to head teacher in a Montessori classroom. While many assistant teachers at preschools are hourly employees with limited benefits, head teachers more often are able to become salaried professionals, with associated benefits, such as health care and retirement benefits.
- An AMI Montessori teacher diploma is your passport to the world. The Association Montessori Internationale certifies training centers around the world, not just in the US. Your AMI Montessori teaching certificate gives you the opportunity to teach at AMI Montessori schools around the world, as those schools recognize the AMI training, no matter in which country you trained.
Below are a few resources you might find helpful in deciding whether a rewarding career in Montessori is right for you. If you have questions, or are ready to begin training, contact us here.